Sunday, September 11, 2011

Designing 3D Clothing in Marvelous Designer 2

A couple of weeks ago I won one of two first prizes in a review contest over at Marvelous Designer and got a copy of their software as a result. I had used the demo last year but couldn't afford the software but now I've been busy playing with it and first up is a ruffled tunic with leggings. The tunic is loosely shaped with slightly dropped shoulders and low under arm while the leggings are tight fitting. Click on the image for a larger view. Rendered in DAZ Studio with Victoria 4.


Of course, the meshes come out with triangles, which are great for Poser dynamic clothing but not so good for rigged clothing. I've been trying out a demo of 3DCoat and so far have seen awesome results. The image below shows the leggings from MD2, then retopo'd in 3DCoat, then tweaked in Cinema4D to remove the caps, adjust vertices, and UV Mapping. It does lose some detailing during the retopo but it's not enough for me to worry about. I'd rather have the general details that can be emphasized with textures than create more polys. I have high hopes. Click on the image for a larger view.

No comments: